I am beyond excited to write this post today because I can finally show you the completed 1930s crochet jumper I’ve been working on. To say I’m happy with it is a massive understatement, I am ecstatic and so proud of what I’ve achieved. In fact, I have worn it constantly since finishing it just a few days ago! I don’t remember the first thing I sewed for myself, but I can imagine I felt very similar to how I feel about this jumper.
The pattern I used was an original 1930s one that I bought from Cemetarian on Etsy. It was a very straight forward and easy to follow pattern, which made it fairly easy to do. I did have some issues, but they were more about my lack of experience than anything.
My main issue was the waistband. I tend to stitch quite tightly and, as I was following the instructions to the tee to begin with, I initially made a chain exactly the length specified for the back piece. However, once I’d done a few rows, the tightness of my stitching was making the waistband smaller and smaller. I didn’t panic though and, after reading a helpful blocking guide in my orginal 1930s needlework book, I managed to stretch it out just enough, but only just!
I realised very quickly that if I did the same thing on the front then the finished jumper was going to end up being too small. There would be no way the main part of the jumper was going to sit correclty across my bust! Therefore when it came to the front I made sure I started with a marginally longer chain. I actually had to do this three times to get the correct length! This allowed me to make the main part of the jumper a little wider by adding a further two fan stitches either end.
I was slightly worried about doing this in case it didn’t work out as I imagined, but I made sure that everything matched up once I came to the sleeve part. It worked out absolutely fine and you can only see that the front is bigger than the back once it’s on the hanger. And strangley enough, the new jumper pattern I’m working on actually suggests you make the front slightly wider than the back, so I feel like I did the correct thing.
The yarn I used was Patons 4ply 100% cotton in bright pink. I bought way too much, not really knowing how much I would need. The majority of 1930s patterns suggest yarns that are no longer available, so you have no idea how much yarn is on each ball. In the end I used just under 3 balls, approximately 330m each, and I have enough left to make another jumper! Unfortunately it’s probaly not enough to make a matching skirt (wouldn’t that be amazing!), so I’ll probably save it for a future project.
The buttons are original vintage French glass and are finished with a silver egde. They were purchased from The Washer Woman whilst I was at the West Country Vintage Textiles Market. I used a total of 18, as stated on the pattern, with six across each shoulder and three on each side seam of the waistband. They finish off the jumper perfectly and really bring the whole thing to life. I also love having a little bit of sparkle on them when the light catches them!
The finished jumper fits really well and I absolutely love the style of it. The waistband sits exactly on my natural waist, which is definitely what I was after. I adore the roll over effect of the main part over the waist and the boat neckline has always been one of my most favourite styles. It goes with a number of skirts and trousers I already own but now I really want to make/buy a pair of grey tweed wool wide leg trousers to wear with it. I think grey and bright pink is a gorgeous combination.
As this had turned out so well, I’ve now already started my new projects. Yes, that’s projects, plural! I’m crocheting a navy blue scarf that will not only match my navy beret, but will also go really well with a 1930s jacket I’m currently making. I’ve also started my next jumper, which is again from an original 1930s pattern. The yarn is a beautiful mustard yellow 4ply that I bought from The Loveliest Yarn Company. You can see both of these projects on my Instagram.
Pattern: 1930s Shoulder Button Detail Jumper from Cemetarian
Yarn: Patons 100% Cotton 4ply – Bright Pink 1725
Hook Size: 2.5mm
Trimmings: 18 vintage French glass buttons