One thing I love about blogging is all the like minded people you get to meet online. One such person is Kristen from Verity Vintage Studio, a blog I have been following for a few years now. Kristen and I have a lot in common, we both love vintage, we both love sewing and we both love crocheting. We also both love the 1930s. Whilst I remain more focused on this decade Kristen likes to explore looks of the 1940s and 50s too.
One thing we don’t currently have in common, but something I’d like to try at some point, is that Kristen creates her own crochet patterns. These range from cute wrist warmers and accessories through to garments and home accessories, which are all available through her Etsy shop Joys In Stitches.
So, imagine my excitement when Kristen got in contact at the end of last year and said she was about to launch a new 1930s crochet beret pattern. Not only that, she would also love to work on a collaboration together where I could try out the pattern for myself, before its release, and provide some photos to go on the final pattern. Of course, as I always like to help out fellow bloggers and crafters, I said yes straight away.
After receiving the pattern as a PDF, I had a good look through it and found that the original yarn Kristen used was Cascade Yarns Venezia Worsted. Immediately this rang a bell, because the beautiful 1930s Christmas jumper I had made for me was also done in a Cascade yarn. I knew then that I wanted to make the beret to match the jumper.
I went on the hunt for Venezia Worsted in a matching colour but found that it wasn’t available in the same red. However, Cascade did do their 220 yarn in an aran weight (the UK term for worsted) in Christmas Red, exactly the same colour as the red on my jumper. I snapped up one skein from the Deramores website and eagerly waited to get started on it.
This was actually a really quick and simple beret to crochet. The main thing for me is that I’m used to working with tiny crochet thread and tiny hooks (usually a 1.5 or 2mm) which take forever to just complete one row or round. However, this beret called for much thicker yarn and a bigger hook (4.5mm), so it came together in no time at all.
The pattern itself is perfectly straightforward, with the majority of it being worked in half-double-crochets (half-trebles in UK terms). Each round is laid out clearly, ending with the exact number of stitches you should have done. So if you’re unsure at all, you can just do a quick count to double check.
I did get stuck on one bit in the decorative section of the brim, but that was just down to the terminology used. It’s something I’d never seen in anything I’d done before and I couldn’t quite figure it out. However, after a quick chat with Kristen the penny dropped and I charged on to the end.
The little ruffle embellishment is such a lovely touch and I could just imagine it being used on original 1930s pieces. Again, it’s very simple to do, it’s just a flat rectangle shape that’s slightly shorter on one of the long edges and scalloped on the other.
Kristen’s version had three smaller buttons on her version, but I knew I wanted to tie it together with the skirt I made to go with the matching jumper. As the buttons I used on that were a lot larger, I decided to just use two. I sewed them on using matching red thread for extra detailing.
I’m so pleased with how this beret turned out. It’s a cute jaunty style that’s slightly smaller than all my other berets and it can be worn in so many different ways. I’m sure I’ll use the pattern again to create others to match my outfits as it’s so quick to whip up.
I was so honoured to be part of this project, especially so when I’d sent the photos to Kristen and she responded with such glee to how it turned out. It’s a little scary, though, to suddenly see my face come up on Etsy when searching for 1930s crochet patterns!
Pattern: 1930s Style Reproduction Beret Hat by Joys In Stitches
Yarn: Cascade 220 (Aran weight) in Christmas Red (8895)
Hook: 4.5mm steel hook